— Kristy Dempsey (@kristydempsey) May 21, 2016
These big and little superheroes made my day celebrating the release of Superhero Instruction Manual. We chose our superhero names (favorite color + favorite animal — Mine is “Red Lion”) and decided on our superpowers. (After all, “superheroes don’t just wake up one day with superpowers. You must work hard to discover your inner BAM-BOOM-POW!”)
Here are a few images from this Zoom-Vroom-SUPER day!
Samantha is a teacher at Mitchell Road Elementary School. Congratulations, Samantha! I sent you an email and will be in touch to schedule with your school!
Just as Superhero Instruction Manual gives you the power to turn yourself super in seven easy steps, these super books give teachers and their students the power to turn the summer (or the whole school year!) super in just a few pages. These are some of my own favorites, both brand-new on the scene and time-honored in the superhero tradition.
CALLING ALL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL EMPLOYEES
OF GREENVILLE COUNTY, SOUTH CAROLINA!!!
Your school could win a free school visit!
Did you hear me?
Greenville County teachers, principals, assistants, librarians, maintenance workers, lunchroom workers, ANYONE who works for an elementary school (public or private) in Greenville County, South Carolina, you are all eligible to enter!
Sound the word, let the masses know, coordinate a collective effort from your school employees to submit entries. Contest runs through May 17, 2016.
There are two ways to enter, one of which is preordering Superhero Instruction Manual at this link:
(See contest rules below for specifics.)
1) NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
2) This giveaway is for one (1) full-day school visit (up to 6 presentations in the same location on the same date) conducted by Kristy Dempsey at any elementary school (public or private) of the prize winner’s choice in Greenville County, South Carolina.
3) VALUE OF PRIZE: Service is valued at $1000.00; prize may not be exchanged for equivalent monetary value. No cash alternative to prize is offered and no substitutions are allowed.
4) TERM OF CONTEST: Contest runs from April 17, 2016 to May 17, 2016. Drawing will take place on May 18, 2016 and winner will be notified by telephone and/or by email on that same day. School visit must be scheduled and completed by May 17, 2017 on a date mutually agreed upon by Sponsor and prize winner.
5) ODDS OF WINNING: Odds of winning depend on the number of entries.
6) ELIGIBILITY: Contest is open to any employee of any elementary school (public or private) in Greenville County, South Carolina.
7) FORMS OF ENTRY:
There are two ways to enter:
8) TAXES: All taxes on prizes (if applicable) are the sole responsibility of the winner. Prizes are not transferable/assignable.
9) SPONSOR: The official sponsor of this contest is author Kristy Dempsey, whose decisions will be considered final and binding on all matters related to this promotion. Fiction Addiction Bookstore shall not be held responsible for matters related to the execution or the final decision of this contest.
It’s always a little bit of a relief when your first review comes out for a forthcoming book and not only is it a good review, but it highlights many of your own favorite aspects of the book.
Kirkus reviews writes, “. . . a ‘complete, unabridged’ instruction manual that guarantees it can turn anyone super in ‘seven easy steps.’ In the background, a friendly dog and an intrigued-yet-suspicious sister follow [the young boy] throughout his journey to superherodom in hilarious counterpoint.”
The review finishes off with, “This funny, spirited exploration of superhero culture sans violence and with an added dose of familial love is a powerful addition to any bookshelf.”
One of the dearest aspects of the book to my heart is the relationship between the main character and his sister. There is a definite love/hate relationship that plays out over the course of the story, and yet, in the end, they know they can count on each other. Isn’t that what being a hero is all about?
Read the entire Kirkus review here.
Covers are out for 3 of the 4 books I have publishing in 2016!
And in super exciting news, I’ll be living in the United States during the 2016-2017 school year, which means I’ll have availability for school visits. If you’re interested in having me visit your school, check out my School Visit page that details some of the information. And feel free to email me if you have any questions or want to brainstorm the possibilities!
Here are some comments from my recent school visits:
(Just to clarify: We aren’t moving back to America! We will return to Brazil. Demps and I will only be on furlough during which we will meet with the ministry’s supporters, raise future support and have time for some much needed preparation for the next phase of ministry.)