When good news happens I tend to share it and when bad news happens I tend to not allow myself to whine for too long and I’m usually over it before I’d end up posting it here. But I’m going to because I want to remind you just how up and down this business can be. And also how there are so many factors that go into acquiring a book that sometimes it doesn’t matter if you sell every editor in a house on the book, there are still things that can step in the way of a deal.
You might remember a few weeks ago when Really Large House had to pass on a book they wanted because they also do the licensed books for a popular movie that vaguely had a similar subject as my book. Okay, we got over that quickly and immediately (as in that same day) sent out the book to other houses. Late that same afternoon, we’d received phone calls from 3 different (wonderful all three) houses stating they had interest. Within a couple of days, one of the houses was checking with a primo illustrator to see if he would do the illustration. Well, that took some time so we had to put the other houses on hold for the time being. What else could we do but wait on an answer from Incredible Artist. The general impression was that even if he said no, that same house had a second and third choice so we expected an eventual contract.
Cut to yesterday. In the end, Incredible Artist said he loves the book, loves the writing but can’t see himself illustrating it. Which is fine. There are lots of things I can’t see myself writing about. So I understand completely. But the downside was, since we have (or had) so much interest in the book, this Lovely, Amazing Imprint and Editor said that they didn’t feel good going with their second or third choices. Which is fine because we would have wanted them to put the contract in place this time before giving them time to check with the second or third choices.
So now we go back to the other houses, equally Lovely and Amazing houses and editors, and see if they’re still interested. They might have cooled since we made them wait. I don’t really see any other way we could have handled it because of who the first house was offering as illustrator. We had to wait for his answer. And so, though I *think* the door is still open — slightly — you just never know in this business. I think this book will sell eventually. I just hope it’s before I grow cynical about the process. 🙂